[microformats-discuss] Carl Beeth raises an interesting point

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Sun Jul 10 19:58:40 PDT 2005

On Jul 8, 2005, at 17:34, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Check out http://reblg.com/hrouter.  Given that that app gets a hint
> about what the content type is, it can immediately route an incoming
> item to a handler appropriate to the type, which is pretty useful.
> Without the type hint, though, it needs to fetch the resource and
> figure out what kind of thing it is.  There are two problems with that
> -- it increases the complexity and overhead of the application quite a
> lot, and it violates javascript security restrictions.
>
> - Lucas

Lucas, "right on" basically.  My read on microformats is that they
have largely not been developed from a web application perspective.
This is apparent in Brian Suda's X2V which must scan the whole web
page.  My email that started this little thread was written from a
just getting started perspective, but I think there is a lot to do here.

I am going to take Tantek's "more rock, less talk" advice and
forestall further of these discussions until I have a couple of
worked examples, but actually writing applications that consume
microformats as data will likely be challenging.  I suspect that
microformat developers can do some things to help here, and you may
see some of that in xFolk.

Bud