[uf-discuss] invisible metadata

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:36:35 PST 2005

I think the practice of defining hidden meta falls into the
pornography assessment rule: I know when I [don't] see it.

I'm just going to propose a metric that might be useful here... when
embedding meta data using microformats in a way that is usually opaque
in the viewport, I think that it's ok if having that invisible data
helps to clarify a relationship or remove ambiguity. For example, with
the <abbr> tag used on times in hCard -- we use the value of the title
attribute to remove the ambiguity raised by colloquial language like
"half past six".  In this case, it's not hidden meta data; it's a
means to clarify the data that is already visible.

In the XFN example, we're starting to border on invisible metadata.
However, I would argue that this "data" can be exposed in a useful way
via CSS. For example:

a[rel=friend] { color: green;}

In that way, we are able to use that data to disambiguate or clarify
the visible data. It's also the case with vote-for and vote-against,
which you could style, adding semantic *visual* data to yoru content.

In any case, a good example of truly invisible (and therefore what you
*should not* do) would be hiding the address content of an hCard
because you only want to list a person's name. Just because you could
include their full vcard as display:none microformatted content
actually defeats the principle of distributed design. You shouldn't
need to encode the entire vcard everytime you list the person's
name... encode it once, and then mark up your usual content in
semantic ways -- let the machine pull the data together.

Anyway, that's my take on this topic because it is an extremely
important one. Microformats should be designed for humans first,
machines second.

Chris