[microformats-discuss] abbr-design-pattern

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 10 14:50:12 PDT 2005

On 10/10/05 2:30 PM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

> Got it. I'll use this argument to fill in the page a little more later on.
>
> However, let me toss out the argument here that ABBR does not hide data
> -- it's available as a mouseover popup.

It's not absolutely hidden no.

But it is *more* hidden, which is *less* desirable.

In addition, it violates the DRY principle.

We should only be violating the DRY principle when required to do so to
satisfy a more important principle, e.g. humans first, machines second.

> Furthermore, the use of ABBR for
> exanding simple presentation forms is entirely with the spirit and
> letter of the HTML spec [1]
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#edef-ABBR

Yes on expanding simple presentation forms for abbreviations etc. where no
additional information is being given.

> for ABBR to do the (2) form below.

No. Re-read what I wrote.  (2) is not "expanding simple presentation forms".
(2) is introducing additional information, namely, the last name.

Regards,

Tantek