[uf-discuss] Need a figure markup

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:33:00 PDT 2005

Over coffee this morning, Ryan, Tantek and I discussed the need for
generalized markup for figures like photos, tabular data, graphs and
so on in blog posts.

In particular, the way that images are typically rendered in a blog
post by default leaves something to be desired (floating right with
some margin helps tremendously but requires that styling to be applied
inline or via theme/stylesheet).

The WordPress theme Kubrick uses the classes "alignright",
"aligncenter" and "alignleft" to handle these things, but those
classes are hardly semantic or generalizable. What we need is a way to
encapsulate any kind of figure and then use other microformats like
hCard for citations or credit, Fotonotes and so on.

Anyway, I thought I would throw this out there and see what the CW is.
hFigure might be something to think about...

Other ideas/comments/proposals?

Chris