[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:09:36 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, aside from optimism, that tool support is probably my
> > only opportunity to help due to severe time constraints - it's getting
> > pretty discouraging to watch the list for movement and not be able to
> > help until things are more solidified.
>
> Though there was some recent hints that things are about to start moving again.

That's encouraging - what hints were you referring to? Anything in
public we can echo here?

> FWIW, I've been working on the metadata stuff for ODF, and modeling
> bibliographic data in RDF. The vocularies I used? DC, Qualified DC
> (for relations mostly), and vCard, plus a handful of biblio-specific
> properties (volume, issue, pages and such).
>
> I really think we need an hDC and hDCQ. It's really not the
> microformat tradition, it seems to me, to invent full standalone
> formats.

I'm afraid I'm only slightly familiar with how DC elements are being
used. It seems like they're only being used (in HTML) now to describe
whole pages, not parts of pages.

I just read the DCQ page [1] about using DC terms in meta and link
elements in the HTML head element - that's where I'm getting this
from.

Are you suggesting a new design pattern for using dublin core elements
and qualifiers in all microformats? Or a specific microformat to cover
some particular cases when you'd use DC?

Thanks,
-mike

[1]:http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/

--