[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 16:46:45 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:

Bruce wrote:
> > Though there was some recent hints that things are about to start moving again.
>
> That's encouraging - what hints were you referring to? Anything in
> public we can echo here?

Yeah, recent list discussion; Tantek throwing down the gauntlet for a
0.1 August 30 release, Brian saying that sounded reasonable, etc.

> > I really think we need an hDC and hDCQ. It's really not the
> > microformat tradition, it seems to me, to invent full standalone
> > formats.
>
> I'm afraid I'm only slightly familiar with how DC elements are being
> used. It seems like they're only being used (in HTML) now to describe
> whole pages, not parts of pages.
>
> I just read the DCQ page [1] about using DC terms in meta and link
> elements in the HTML head element - that's where I'm getting this
> from.
>
> Are you suggesting a new design pattern for using dublin core elements
> and qualifiers in all microformats? Or a specific microformat to cover
> some particular cases when you'd use DC?

The former. DC and DCQ cover generic stuff: contributors, dates,
titles, subjects, relations. Those are important in lots of contexts
beyond citaitons.  It makes more sense to me that hCite would use
that, and that other formats could too, than that we'd define it all
in hCite.

FWIW, here's the demo I prepared for the ODF group to show namepsace
and vocabularly mxing, and example of the relational character of
citation data..

It's RDF, but I'm sure you can imagine a mapping to microformats.

  xmlns:meta="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0"
  xmlns:b="http://purl.org/net/biblio#" xmlns:v="http://nwalsh.com/rdf/vCard#"
  xmlns:dcq="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
  xmlns:foo="http://foo.net/">

  <b:Reference rdf:about="x">
    <b:author>
      <v:VCard>
        <v:n>
          <v:Name>
            <v:given-name>Jane</v:given-name>
            <v:family-name>Doe</v:family-name>
          </v:Name>
        </v:n>
      </v:VCard>
    </b:author>
    <!-- use dc:type for typing, with controlled URI list -->
    <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/biblio#Article"/>
    <dc:title>Some Title</dc:title>
    <dcq:isPartOf>
      <b:Collection>
        <dc:title>Journal Title</dc:title>
        <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/biblio#Journal"/>
      </b:Collection>
    </dcq:isPartOf>
    <b:volume>23</b:volume>
    <b:issue>2</b:issue>
    <b:pages>123-165</b:pages>
  </b:Reference>

  <b:Reference rdf:about="urn:isbn:0226738892">
    <b:author>
      <v:VCard>
        <v:n>
          <v:Name>
            <v:given-name>Carl</v:given-name>
            <v:family-name>Schmidt</v:family-name>
          </v:Name>
        </v:n>
      </v:VCard>
    </b:author>
    <dc:title xml:lang="en">Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of
      Sovereignty</dc:title>
    <dc:date>2005</dc:date>
    <dc:type rdf:resource="http://purl.org/net/biblio#Book"/>
    <dc:publisher>
      <v:VCard>
        <v:fn>University of Chicago Press</v:fn>
        <v:adr>
          <v:Adr>
            <v:locality>Chicago</v:locality>
          </v:Adr>
        </v:adr>
      </v:VCard>
    </dc:publisher>
    <dcq:isVersionOf>
      <b:Reference>
        <dc:title xml:lang="de">Politische Theologie: Vier Kapital zur Lehre von
          der Souveranitat</dc:title>
        <dc:publisher>
          <v:VCard>
            <v:fn>Duncker Humbolt</v:fn>