[uf-discuss] citation: another example of practice in the wild

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:10:17 PDT 2006

On 8/16/06, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK:
> >
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples#Wikipedia
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples-markup#Wikipedia_Examples
>
> Good job; thanks for that. I had put a couple examples there earlier,
> but this is better!
>
> > More examples can probably stand to be added. I'm sure there's one of
> > every kind of reference in there somewhere.
>
> Exactly; why it's such a good "real world" example ;-)
>
> [...]
>
> > I am also not a lawyer, so I just parsed the string "CASE NO. CV
> > 04-9484 AHM (SHx)" as "case number", when I'm pretty sure those TLAs
> > at the end mean something more.
>
> Case number, FWIW, can be understand as a kind of document number; not
> unlike "report number" and such.
>
> Acronyms like "AHM" often are kinds of abbreviated periodical titles,
> for court reporters (which are not what they sound like -- people --
> but rather periodicals).

So, is is enough to mark these up as one big string and call it
"number", or would it be necessary to include extra markup for those
abbreviations?

In the interests of simplicity and following existing practice, I'd
say that just marking it all up as 'number' is a big enough
improvement on what's done now, at least on wikipedia and the
government's web sites I've been looking at.

-mike

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate