[uf-discuss] Re: one citation microformat use case (Michael McCracken)

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Mon Feb 13 07:55:48 PST 2006

I agree that the use of hAtom + citation, or even Atom + citation
(hCite?) would be a good method to syndicate citation formats. The
discussion of citations has been kicking up and then dying a number
of times, and I take some of the blame as one of the people who'd
like to push the format along not taking enough initiative.

I think the most difficult part of the hCite discussion is framing
our 80/20. Most bloggers and less formal writers only define
references to other web sites as a single link, without much in the
was of data to be marked up by a Microformat, where as academics seem
to be looking for a locator and authenticity-validator not unlike MLA
or Chicago, while librarians and others have been talking about
including even more data in order to form a complete (pardon the
jargon pun) framework for resource description.

I think the problem that hCite would be trying to solve, however,
would be the current inability to create a reference (hyper- or not)
to another work in a way that comports validity information to the
reader *without viewing the work*. hCite would be an attempt to
standardize that process and therefore allow both people and tools to
better understand the information.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer