[uf-discuss] hReview feedback

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Wed Jan 18 23:59:49 PST 2006

"Ryan King" wrote...
> Yeah, AFAICT, there's no commonly used format for ranges used on the  web
> (or elsewhere, for that matter), so we have little prior art in  terms of
> previous formats. However, we still have prior art in terms  of examples
> of emergent human behavior on the web.

I had an amusing experience this evening.  I just moved in with some new
roommates and decided it would be a good time to update my MythTV box.  I
also took the opportunity to let my roommates play with it and explain what
everything meant.  When you are looking at the listing of movies, I noticed
that it has the year and then a number of stars afterwards to indicate a
rating.

The rating is in the format:
**/
where the slash indicates a half of a star.

I commented out loud that I wondered where the ratings were from.  The very
next comment was from my roommate asking what the scale was.  I had no idea.
We just scrolled through a whole bunch of ratings before deciding that is
must be 1 to 4 stars.

I guess other people out there do care what the upper and lower limit if
systems are.  (If a movie is rated a 1, it would be nice to know if it could
have been rated a 0 or if it has the absolute lowest rating possible.)

Atamido