[uf-discuss] hResume and object-based include

Steve Ganz steve at ganz.name
Thu Jun 15 04:31:00 PDT 2006

On Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:40 AM Ryan King wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Steve Ganz wrote:
> > For the time being, I've updated the wiki with Tantek's suggestions.
> > Hopefully it will  create a spark for people to come up with some
> > solutions for this problem.
> >
> > In the meantime, I looked at the existing Examples in the Wild. It
> > looks like a pattern is developing where people are using the
> > <address> tag somewhere inside thier "hCard" to mark up either the
> > "adr" or some other specific chunk of contact info.
>
> IMO, this is a mistake based on the naming of the <address> tag.
> Unfortunately its semantics don't quite line up with its name
> very well.

"The ADDRESS element may be used by authors to supply contact information
for a document or a major part of a document such as a form..."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#edef-ADDRESS

Perhaps we should consider letting the author determine exactly what they
want their contact information to be. For some it might be a phone number,
for others it might be an email address, and still others might want it to
be a street address.

What would differentiate that particular hCard from others in the resume is
the very fact that it contains the <address> element. Based on that,
wouldn't parsers be able to recognize it as the author's current hCard and
treat it differently?

> I, too, have noticed this pattern, but I don't think its a
> good thing, it seems to be more of a problem or
> misconception. I'd rather not promote this misconception.

I hear what you're saying. I initially used <address> as the container for
my hCard. I switched it to the street address when my document wouldn't
validate. It was definitely a work-around. But hey, it solved a problem.

- Steve