[uf-discuss] hResume and object-based include
ryan at technorati.com
Mon Jun 19 14:21:33 PDT 2006
On Jun 15, 2006, at 4:31 AM, Steve Ganz wrote:
> On Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:40 AM Ryan King wrote:
>> On Jun 14, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Steve Ganz wrote:
>>> For the time being, I've updated the wiki with Tantek's suggestions.
>>> Hopefully it will create a spark for people to come up with some
>>> solutions for this problem.
>>> In the meantime, I looked at the existing Examples in the Wild. It
>>> looks like a pattern is developing where people are using the
>>> <address> tag somewhere inside thier "hCard" to mark up either the
>>> "adr" or some other specific chunk of contact info.
>> IMO, this is a mistake based on the naming of the <address> tag.
>> Unfortunately its semantics don't quite line up with its name
>> very well.
> "The ADDRESS element may be used by authors to supply contact
> for a document or a major part of a document such as a form..."
> Perhaps we should consider letting the author determine exactly
> what they
> want their contact information to be. For some it might be a phone
> for others it might be an email address, and still others might
> want it to
> be a street address.
> What would differentiate that particular hCard from others in the
> resume is
> the very fact that it contains the <address> element. Based on that,
> wouldn't parsers be able to recognize it as the author's current
> hCard and
> treat it differently?
Well, as hResume was originally intended, the author's contact
information should be contained *in* an <address> element, not
*contain* and <address> element. I apparently didn't write this part
clearly enough to get that point across.
>> I, too, have noticed this pattern, but I don't think its a
>> good thing, it seems to be more of a problem or
>> misconception. I'd rather not promote this misconception.
> I hear what you're saying. I initially used <address> as the
> container for
> my hCard. I switched it to the street address when my document
> validate. It was definitely a work-around. But hey, it solved a
Working == good. I can't argue with that. <address> is annoying, but
has useful semantics.
More information about the microformats-discuss