[uf-discuss] hResume and object-based include

Steve Ganz steve at ganz.name
Tue Jun 20 09:31:13 PDT 2006

On Monday, June 19, 2006 2:22 PM Ryan King wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:40 AM Ryan King wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2006, at 4:31 AM, Steve Ganz wrote:

>> Perhaps we should consider letting the author determine exactly what
>> they want their contact information to be. For some it might be a
>> phone number, for others it might be an email address, and still
>> others might want it to be a street address.

> Well, as hResume was originally intended, the author's
> contact information should be contained *in* an <address> element, not
> *contain* and <address> element. I apparently didn't write
> this part clearly enough to get that point across.

It was clear. At least for me it was. It just doesn't work in the real
world. Presumably because using the <h1> for the author's name is of the
utmost importance and, because it's a block-level element, it precludes the
use of the <address> element for the parent container.

>> ...I initially used <address> as the container
>> for my hCard. I switched it to the street address when my document
>> wouldn't validate. It was definitely a work-around. But hey, it solved
>> a problem.

> Working == good. I can't argue with that. <address> is
> annoying, but has useful semantics.

The good news is we can retain those semantics by requiring its presence
inside the authors hCard. I know it's not exactly what you intended, but
it's a compromise. I just don't think it makes sense to specify its use as
the parent container if it's not likely to see adoption. All I am suggesting
is that we move the requirement from *being* the parent container for the
hCard to simply being present *inside* of the hCard. This will differentiate
it from the other hCards in the document which, I think, is what your goal
is. And more importantly, it will be easier for people to implement as
specified.

- Steve