[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Wed Mar 29 11:13:30 PST 2006

On 29 Mar 2006, at 14:02, Breton Slivka wrote:

> If we are for the moment to entertain the idea of modularization,
> couldn't type then be simply inferred by which module(s) in use? If
> you go with a nesting microformat model for that, type is
> encapsulated entirely in the container class of specific modules,
> and the modules which are in use determine behavior, much the same
> as embedded svg/mathml does today, or a more direct comparison in
> the modularization of xhtml.

If you embed MathML and SVG in XHTML you still have to use the right
DOCTYPE, so that the validator knows which modules are allowed
(though admittedly you don't necessarily need the precise DOCTYPE
just for displaying/interpreting the document):

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
     "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/2002/04/xhtml-math-svg/xhtml-math-svg.dtd">

alf.