[uf-discuss] species questions; process: examples questions

Charles Roper charles.roper at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 09:10:43 PDT 2006

On 22/10/06, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> >A classic example of one of the differences between plants and species
> >is that of the Potato (Solanum tuberosum). Now, Solanum tuberosum is a
> >species. Most of the potatos you buy in shops are Solanum tuberosum.
>
> All are, surely (unless you're including "sweet potato", Ipomoea
> batatas)?

Indeed yes, hence "most". :) There are other species cultivated mainly
in Peru such as Solanum x juzepczukii and Solanum x curtilobum, that
can be turned into the so call Chuño, a sort of freeze dried potato.

>            <abbr class="binominal" title="Solanum tuberosum">
>                 Maris Piper
>            </abbr>

I'm not at all comfortable with using abbr in this fashion; "Maris
Piper" isn't an abbreviation of Solanum tuberosum. What are the
alternatives?

Charles