[uf-discuss] Advanced include pattern usage

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 01:34:54 PDT 2006

Good morning List,

I have a quick question about include pattern usage and visible data.
A while ago I was playing around with drafting something for the
hChatLog effort (I haven't got anywhere yet, really) but will use it
as an example, since I think the use of include-pattern is nicely
demonstrated here:

ben-ward.co.uk">Ben Ward</a></div>
href="http://nascentguruism.com">Steve Marshall</a><div>

  <ol class="hChatLog">
   <li class="message">
     <q>Good morning, Steve</q>
   </li>
   <li class="message">
     <cite><a class="include" href="#stevemarshall">Steve Marshall</
a></cite>
     <q>Mornin’</q>
   </li>
</ol>

So what's happening here is that full hCards are declared at the top
of the page, and then referenced in each message to avoid repetition,
as is the purpose of the include-pattern. However, because we don't
want the vcard to be completely invisible and do want the person's
name to be read as part of the content, the innerText/nodeValue of
the A/@class=include element contains text.

So in the context of a Microformats parser the hCards should be
included, and should replace the innerText.

This is obviously going beyond the original idea for the anchor-based
include pattern, but is actually a benefit of the A-based pattern
over OBJECT. Is it a valid use? Should it be documented as part of
the include pattern?

Regards,

Ben