[uf-discuss] Advanced include pattern usage

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 05:36:50 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
> Good morning List,

> So in the context of a Microformats parser the hCards should be
> included, and should replace the innerText.

There is still a debate about how exactly all of this works. At the
moment the way you have your HTML marked-up, the include portion is
NOT inside any microformat. (partly because there is no chat
microformat)

If you were to run this through something like X2V, it first looks for
any instances of an hcard (class="vcard") then will apply the
include-pattern on any data inside of that. So you would have to
change you HTML slightly to something like the following: (adding a
class="vcard" to your cite element) That would get you loads of
vCards.

ben-ward.co.uk">Ben Ward</a></div>
href="http://nascentguruism.com">Steve Marshall</a><div>

 <ol class="hChatLog">
  <li class="message">
    <q>Good morning, Steve</q>
  </li>
  <li class="message">
    <cite class="vcard"><a class="include" href="#stevemarshall">Steve
Marshall</
a></cite>
    <q>Mornin'</q>
  </li>
</ol>

> This is obviously going beyond the original idea for the anchor-based
> include pattern, but is actually a benefit of the A-based pattern
> over OBJECT. Is it a valid use? Should it be documented as part of
> the include pattern?

--- sure, this is a valid use. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
should it be documented, maybe we are talking about two different
things? There is a section about using the 'a' element.
http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern#hyperlink_include_example
If it is unclear and there needs to be a better explaination,
examples, etc, please let us know.

-brian

--
brian suda