[uf-discuss] Dated currency examples?

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Wed Sep 27 11:55:21 PDT 2006

Sorry if I'm only getting up-to-speed on this debate.

I agree that attaching explicitly date/time information directly to a
currency value is relatively rare, and when necessary that it is usually
inferred from the context.

For instance, we talk of the date of the price of a barrel of oil, in
which case the date/time is attached to the "price" component of a
"product", the "currency value" being only one expression of the
"price". See Andy's example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1096916.stm

On the other hand, I think attaching date/time information to *currency
rates* is very common (See Andy's example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_in_Germany#Inflation_and_Repercussions).

Moreover, even though a currency rate is the "price" of a "product", it
is particular enough that it deserves its own class.

Taking one of Andy's examples that deals with currency rates, and
reusing both the abbr/date pattern used in hCalendar and some he IFX/OFX
semantics, I think we could get away with:

title="1998-03-12T08:30:00-05:00">August 1</abbr>, the <abbr
class="currency" title="USD">US Dollar</abbr> still stood at <span
class="currencyamount">643 <abbr class="unitcurrency"

i.e.:

    * currencyrate
          o currency
          o currencyamount
                + unitcurrency

Another attempt with the oil barrel example:

class="unitcurrency" title="USD">$</abbr>25</span> a <abbr class="unit"
title="barrel>barrel</barrel></span>.

i.e.:

    * price
          o currencyamount
                + unitcurrency
          o unit

Of course, this is just brainstorming, as I am just getting started with
microformats.

Guillaume