[uf-discuss] Microformats on index pages or detail pages or both?

Nick Peters strategicpause at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 15:22:45 PST 2007

On 1/16/07, Aaron Cole <aaronc at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Do I add microformat markup to index pages or to detail pages that
> provide more detail or both?
>
> A "Staff" page which lists all the people in an organization would be
> an example of an "index" page, whereas the page you get to by
> clicking on one of the names would be the detail page.  Which page do
> I add the microformat to?

It can't hurt to mark both up.  On the index page you can include the
basic hCard information while on the individual's site, you can
include a detailed version of that person's hCard.  Flock does
something similar to what you're talking about at
http://www.flock.com/about

> If the answer is both, then how will the user agent handle the
> differences?  (This last question may be just something to ponder.)

The user agent will show two different hCards.  You should check out
the firefox extension tails
(http://blog.codeeg.com/tails-firefox-extension) and Operator
(https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4106/) to get a better idea of
what data will show up on each hCard.