[uf-discuss] Aggregation of vevents in vcalendar [newbie]

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 08:12:15 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, Chris Newell <chris.newell at rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> My work concerns TV & Radio schedules so I was immediately attracted to the hCalendar microformat.

> The iCalendar spec (RFC2445) provides a precedent for vcalendar properties but the few it defines aren't terribly useful. Were vcalendar properties ever considered in the past (I can't find any discussion in the archive) and would a proposal be considered?

--- the VCALENDAR is 'implied' to be the page. An .ics file contains
one VCALENDAR which contains all of the events. So 1 HTML page = 1
Calendar. Multiple events on an HTML correspond to multiple VEVENT in
the iCalendar.

If you look at the structure of the VCALENDAR it takes only a few
parameters, the calendar type, calendar name (this is taken from the
HTML page <title> element) and a METHOD all of which are usually
metadata purely for machines (except the <title> that is for both).

So to aid adoption, hCalendar makes as little as possible mandatory,
and therefore all the vcalendar data becomes default values which more
than adequately solves the 80/20 issues.

> Were vcalendar properties ever considered in the past (I can't find any discussion in the archive) and would a proposal be considered?

What would the proposal be? microformats are not interested in
X-PARAMs or theoretical "what if's" so if you have a specific issue in
mind please let us know and we can see if it is possible to work-out
with existing formats first.

I hope this help,
-brian

--