Θέμα: Re: [uf-discuss] 4d or A proposal for amendment of the geo microformat

Dimitrios Zachariadis telemetry_mail at yahoo.gr
Fri Jan 19 05:32:02 PST 2007

Hello Tantek

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me so
kindly the steps needed for a proper introduction of
my ideas/needs.

Here is my Take II on the subject:

I am trying to find a method for tagging geo info
about road related problems. The bulk of information
at present is XSLT transformed XML server responses,
into HTML at the client (browser). I have control of
the XSLT process, but the intent is the HTML produced
with the description of the problem to be tagged in a
standard compact geo format, and released in a verbose
form (e.g. no lat-lon visible, but maybe distances in
km from towns, if at all) to the public (much like the
<abbr class="geo" title="lat;lon"/> form, but not
limited to <abbr>).

The info that interests the public is the description
of the problem and when it happend or reported; the
approximate location of it is needed to establish who
it concerns and who is responsible for it. The EXACT
location is not intended to be visible, as it makes
the text look technical (or rather, unreadable) and
discourages people from reading on, but it MUST be
present, for technical verification by any and
everybody concerned. This information (and HTML) being
in the public domain can be freely copied and pasted
into other pages, news, reports e.t.c.

Many authorities here (i.e. Greece) record and publish
geo information in a modified Transverse Mercator (TM)
reference system, like UTM, a formal standard named
EGSA87, so the capability to directly verify the
published coordinates in this system is important.

One detail that might answer the question, why not use
a comma ',' as a delimiter, is that many European
countries use comma as a decimal point. A number of
organizations using EGSA87 use a comma as a decimal
delimiter.

The problem I have is that I am in control of the
data, but have no available standard to use, or so I
think. When data becomes public HTML content, few
things can change without breaking other pages copying
this content, and a lot of effort could be wasted. The
reason 'an attribute only' solution is preferred is
that it remains hidden from readers and can be
directly copied without altering the visible content.

I can produce a page with a table of data if that
could help, or an XML file with raw data, or craft a
page with some english text with embedded geo data as
I envisage it (no fancy CSS though). Bonus for the
latter, a little of javascript that reads my proposed
amended geo data and diplays it on Google Maps, on a
click (no <a> elements or any extra tags), or pops an
alert with the data in a more readable form, on
control-shifted click.

I hope the above is a fair description of what is the
problem I'm trying to solve. Hence my interest to
amend the geo microformat with a reference system and
time.

Dimitrios