[uf-discuss] human readable date parsing

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri May 4 08:13:15 PDT 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> To minimize the negative impact of that violation, the datetime design
> pattern does two things:
>  1. Keep both copies of the data on the same element (the further
> apart two
> copies of data, the greater the chance that that copies will diverge).
>  2. Keep both copies of the data at least somewhat visible to
> humans so that
> at least *some* human eyes/ears can easily inspect both copies and
> ensure
> that they have not diverged.

None of the markup possibilities in the wiki do #2 above (except the
current recommendation):

http://microformats.org/wiki/assistive-technology-abbr-
results#Markup_Possibilities

It sounds like these aren't really possibilities at all.  I don't see
how we can possibly reach any sort of consensus solution here when we
seem to have completely opposed goals intermingled as if they're the
same.  Some people are clearly trying to *minimize* the visibility
while others are trying to *maximize* the visibility of machine-
readable dates.  Let's try to get everyone on the same page here.

Peace,
Scott