[uf-discuss] adr in Operator

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Thu Nov 8 18:19:33 PST 2007

> One more change I'm considering for Operator.
>
> Removing support for an adr by itself in the UI.
>
> Basically the problem is that unlike just about other microformat
> (except geo), there's really nothing good to display for adr in the UI
> (the address just looks silly). And because I try so hard to figure
> out an address to display, It causes performance problems.
>
> The reason I originally added adr support was a hack for hCards that
> had multiple addresses, but I have since fixed that so an hCard can
> have Google Maps as a nested menu that contains both addresses.
>
> So the question is this:
>
> Should I remove it completely since 99.9999% of adrs are in hCards? Or
> should I just make it not on the toolbar by default?

I quite like being able to find adr in Operator...

If it does cause performance problems maybe could it be an option where the
default is not to show them?
(or to still show them when wrapped in other microformats?)

eg what about adr in location in hCalendar? -

I've been suggesting to event promoters with their own websites that they
could mark up their events in hCalendar + adr (or geo) and then submit their
page for aggregation as an alternate way to add events to a listings website
I run.

For this purpose the city and country MUST be specified in a
machine-readable way so that the events can be found when someone looks up
their city or country.

Sure they could wrap it in a hCard but don't think hCard is always
appropriate for every type of address.

Sure geo would probably be more reliable than dodgy text-matching on city
and country names (I wish there was a standard for those!) but it is much
easier to get someone to put in the name of a city or country than to
convince them to spend extra time looking up the coordinates.

Telling them to use geo for this becomes pointless if none of them bother to
do it and having to do dodgy text matching on adr elements is a lot better
than having to do it on a freeform text location (or worse - the
description!)