[uf-discuss] Parsing XFN in PHP

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Apr 8 23:41:10 PDT 2008

Let me expand on that.

Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:21:37
>I'm really looking forward to the SG-API becoming useful, but right now
>it's pretty flaky. There's a lot of pages you'd expect to be in there
>that aren't and the result you get back aren't what you'd expect.

SG-API actually worked very well for my purposes. I'm looking for
outward edges and they came back in a pretty convenient form. However,
it's dependent on the underlying index, not reading the pages in real
time. And several friendfeed pages I tried had no data or incomplete
data because they'd been created since the last time the spider called.
So it looks to me like SG-API is a useful research tool, but not a
useful data import tool.

>>Alternatively, if you want to parse uFs in PHP, I believe hKit by Drew
>>McLellan [2] may have some @rel=me support?

Not yet. It seems to be extensible but there's only an extension for
hCard at the moment. Reading between the lines, hKit is using Tidy to
turn the html into well formed xhtml and then simpleXml to parse out the
uFs. So going down that route or one like it seems to be the best
option.

It would be good if there were actually some solid libraries to read all
the uFs and especially XFN in PHP. A format that's easy to write but
hard to read isn't terribly useful. :(

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:          http://www.ecademy.com/      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433