[uf-discuss] Parsing XFN in PHP

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:18:24 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> wrote:
> Let me expand on that.
>
>  Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:21:37
>

> > I'm really looking forward to the SG-API becoming useful, but right now
> it's pretty flaky. There's a lot of pages you'd expect to be in there that
> aren't and the result you get back aren't what you'd expect.
> >

>  SG-API actually worked very well for my purposes. I'm looking for outward
> edges and they came back in a pretty convenient form. However, it's
> dependent on the underlying index, not reading the pages in real time. And
> several friendfeed pages I tried had no data or incomplete data because
> they'd been created since the last time the spider called. So it looks to me
> like SG-API is a useful research tool, but not a useful data import tool.

We expect to crawl more often soon; one thing that you can do is use
the test parser as described here:

http://groups.google.com/group/social-graph-api/browse_thread/thread/c2deffae0bba09dc

and here:

http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/docs/testparse.html

to parse pages that are missing from the index (though I wouldn't
recommend doing this for huge numbers of pages, it coudl help as a
stopgap, and also as a way  to validate your own local parsing.