[uf-discuss] hcard: born and died and flourished

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Aug 24 11:26:49 PDT 2008

Approximate dates and ambiguous dates figure prominently in
genealogy as well.

>From http://microformats.org/wiki/genealogy-formats :

The GEDCOM data interchange format for genealogical data allows
approximate dates, specifically "ABT 4 July 1776", "BEF 25 Dec
1903", "AFT 11 Nov 1918". It also also allows ambiguous dates, "July
1867" or just "1886", or even "4 July". And these in combination,
(Approximately ambiguous dates? Ambiguously approximate dates?), eg.
"BEF Feb 2007", "AFT 1945". The most ambiguous entries I've seen for
dates are "DECEASED" when date-of-death is unknown, and "NOT
MARRIED" for couples who have not had a wedding ceremony. (Info from
Guidelines for event dates in the PAF Help File).

It would be great to see the same syntax formally applied to
microformat dates, perhaps with the class name "approx" as suggested
by Toby.

--Bob.