[uf-discuss] hatom tumblr theme

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 00:36:28 PST 2008

On 12/16/08, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>  Hello Scott I don't understand your issue , are you suggesting that a hcard
> may have more than one UID element?
>
>  The UID element *is* the Unique Identifier of an entire hcard/vcard
>
>  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-singular-properties#uid

--- Scott is talking about the definition of UID from the RFC itself.
There is always the possibility that the wiki is not correct.

FROM: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#page-24

3.6.7 UID Type Definition
   To: ietf-mime-directory at imc.org
   Subject: Registration of text/directory MIME type UID
   Type name: UID
   Type purpose: To specify a value that represents a globally unique
   identifier corresponding to the individual or resource associated
   with the vCard.

So the UID is NOT the vCard itself, but connected to the data that is
contained within it. This is how you can do identity consolidation.
How you know that vCard over there with UID:123 is the same person as
this vCard over here with UID:123 Even if they both have different
information. This is why we have been trying to connect UID and URL,
much like XFN and OpenID your identity is your URL, which is globally
unique.

I will update the wiki page.

-brian

--