[uf-discuss] hatom tumblr theme

James Tindall james at atomless.com
Tue Dec 16 01:45:27 PST 2008

OK, can I just make sure I've grasped the outcome of this UID exchange?
So...

It's considered ok to use UID on multiple vcards on a single page.
If  any of multiple vcards on a single page represent the same person
the vcards should be given the same UID.
If any of the multiple vcards on a single page represent different
people or organisations the vcards should NOT have the same UID.
If any of the multiple vcards on a single page, that represent different
people or organisations, for some reason need to share the same URI in
the UID element, then the URI should be suffixed with a fragment
identifier unique to that person or organisation - with the same unique
identifiier also set as the id attribute of the UID element.

please correct any errors in the above!

James

Brian Suda wrote:
> On 12/16/08, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Hello Scott I don't understand your issue , are you suggesting that a hcard
>> may have more than one UID element?
>>
>>  The UID element *is* the Unique Identifier of an entire hcard/vcard
>>
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-singular-properties#uid
>>

> --- Scott is talking about the definition of UID from the RFC itself.
> There is always the possibility that the wiki is not correct.
>
> FROM: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2426#page-24
>
> 3.6.7 UID Type Definition
>    To: ietf-mime-directory at imc.org
>    Subject: Registration of text/directory MIME type UID
>    Type name: UID
>    Type purpose: To specify a value that represents a globally unique
>    identifier corresponding to the individual or resource associated
>    with the vCard.
>
> So the UID is NOT the vCard itself, but connected to the data that is
> contained within it. This is how you can do identity consolidation.
> How you know that vCard over there with UID:123 is the same person as
> this vCard over here with UID:123 Even if they both have different
> information. This is why we have been trying to connect UID and URL,
> much like XFN and OpenID your identity is your URL, which is globally
> unique.
>
> I will update the wiki page.
>
> -brian

James Tindall