[uf-discuss] Trying to learn microformats

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 15:12:07 PDT 2010

  On 16/08/2010 19:24, Tim's Trees wrote:
> Thank you all for your full and quick replies.

You are welcome ....

> You were right, the
> original was a complete mismatch of quotes and once I had fixed those
> it displayed in Chrome and Operator:Firefox. I apologise for not
> spotting that.

:)

> I have noted the urls you have recommended and will investigate those
> first in future.
>
> I am wanting to create an event site and I had the idea, I should have
> my entries in hCalendar format, but I am now worrying, that it may be
> too easy to clone my site, with a right click. Do you have any
> opinions on this ?

Im a little unsure of what you mean if you mean by cloning perhaps you
mean spoofing? ( copying a website possibly for fraud such as phishing
or email-spoofing ) it doesn't really happen *too* much in the real
world unless your site is a bank or it offers online payments in some
way (e.g. PayPal),  In which case I wouldn't worry to much about that.
Having said all that Social Networking sites (Facebook/MySpace) are
becoming targets for these kind of attacks nowadays.

If you are worried about people copy and pasting from your website,
unless its copyrighted material, again don't worry too much, Id take
that as a compliment, the majority of people who *do* copy and paste
tend to be just learning. If its for anything else the stuff they are
copying will never do them any good as far as search engines are
concerned because *you* published the data *first*. Some search engines
(google) will actually remove pages that contain duplicate content from
their listings,  or it will bury the duplicate content so deep in their
listings that there is no way anyone will ever see it anyway.

The rule of thumb concerning microformats is, If you use microformats on
your website you can expect your data to be shared, crawled and Indexed
by practically anything that can consume microformats, If you don't want
this to happen, say because your data is private or something sensitive,
then don't use microformats. Dont let that last part put you off though,
sharing your data, particularly  events and contact details, *is* a good
thing.

Hope all that helps rest your mind a little.

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy