[uf-discuss] re: HTML5 support

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Jul 13 21:09:36 PDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Oli Studholme wrote:

> Suggested edit on
> http://microformats.org/wiki/microdata#microdata_vCard_vocabulary
> Avoid the "microdata vCard vocabulary" as in many ways it is an
> out-of-date fork/snapshot of hCard, even though portions of it appear
> to based directly on the vCard RFC. as well.
>> Avoid the "microdata vCard vocabulary" as it is based directly on the vCard RFC.

I'd suggest removing the entire vocabulary-specific section altogether.  As mentioned in the same page, microdata is aiming to solve a different problem than microformats, so it's misleading to suggest specific vocabularies are actually alternatives to specific microformats by talking about them vis-a-vis microformats.

Put another way, that section violates DRY.  Because microdata is aiming to solve a different problem, *no* microdata vocabulary could possibly be recommended in place of a specific microformat, so it's redundant to go into the ways in which a specific microdata vocabulary goes against microformat principles, principles it's not even attempting to follow.

Peace,
Scott