[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed Apr 4 14:56:17 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Yes I was referring more to this problem, a was thinking more along the
> lines of playing the content in a music player such as iTunes or Amarok
> directly from a blog or Artist's website and being able to read a review
> about the track you are listening to either as a feed or by viewing the
> web page its self.

Have you used Songbird yet, Martin? It is a great use case example of
what you are describing. It gets the information by ripping the MP3s off
of a site and reading their IDv3 tags. After talking with their
developers and some of the Firefox guys - they seem more keen on using
media-info to do this than Music Download.

I think the use case you are looking at supporting is more of a
Democracy Player/Songbird angle on the problem? Subscribe to an RSS feed
or point it at a web page and the player automatically identifies the
media on the page for playback? Am I understanding you correctly?

> From what I understand so far is this about the actual file itself?
> maybe the media-info should relate more to the metadata attached to the
> file itself and should follow the lines if already widely used formats
> such as idv3.

media-info is less about the actual file itself, and more about the
metadata regarding the file: artist, title, publisher, runtime length,
associated image data, etc.

There is some discussion if media-info should include the file
information as well - we might want to split that into a separate
microformat. The format of a file has very little to do with what the
file is about. For example: a song can be represented as an MP3 audio
file, or an MPEG-2 music video.

I don't know if Music Download is about the file itself or the metadata
associated with the file. Or both?