[uf-new] MicroFormats for (Music-)TopLists, htop-list?

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sat Jul 14 08:18:08 PDT 2007

Regine Heidorn wrote:
> - Did I use the microformats right, did I get the idea properly?

Yes, you seem to have grasped and implemented the concept and markup of
hAudio correctly. Nicely done :)

> - Is the licence correctly included with an <a rel>?

Yes, it is.

> - How can the rating be included? Does it make sense to work with
> hreview here?

hAudio was intended to be embedded in hReview. So yes, you could put an
hAudio in hReview and add rating to it that way.

Keep in mind that I don't know of anybody that has implemented hAudio +
hReview, so it would be good for the list to see an example and figure
out if it works.

> - A top-list can be seen as a review, might it be better to straighten
> the whole thing out to the hreview thing? So it could also be used for
> top-lists not regarding audio-tracks. But it also seems logical to use
> haudio if it's audio-material. So especially for audio-top-lists would
> it be OK to make that clear by the use of <li class="haudio">?

This isn't that clear... we would have to understand what you mean by
"top-list". You would have to differentiate the following from each
other (here's a hint: Some of them could be viewed as very similar to
one another):

 - "top-list"
 - "playlist"
 - hreview of a playlist
 - hreview of an audio collection or audio album

Another way of looking at it is: How is a top-list any different from a
playlist?

> - If a top-list is also a review: should it be extended by the
> hreview-possibilities? Like for example if I write a review about a
> track like maybe on my blog or somewhere else, it would  be semantically
> interesting to paste this information together with my top-list.

You will have to elaborate on this as your idea could be interpreted in
a number of different ways.

> Second is: how can those informations be collected by let's say the
> netlabels? I have the idea of a php-script writing the data in
> database and thus creating the netlabel-toplist consisting of the data
> from participating Blogs, community-sites and whatever.

You're talking about crawling, indexing and website implementation.
While this community is interested in this stuff... they are
implementation details that don't really have much to do with creating
the Microformat you are talking about.

> Since it's a top-list the use of <ol> is the semantic correct way, so
> to establish the format it should be convention to start with
> something like <ol class="htoplist">?

Perhaps. What we really need to find out is how prevalent "top-lists"
are on the Internet. I think everybody on here will agree that they do
exist, but it will be your job to gather data to prove that they do
exist. This is one of the first steps in the Microformats process -
demonstrate, using hard data, that your problem exists. You will need to
answer the following questions:

 - What problem is 'top-list' attempting to address?
 - How many sites have "top-list" type information?
 - What kind of information should be placed in a top-list?
 - Is there any way that we can combine haudio + hreview to solve the
   problem?