[uf-new] Currency: more non-USD examples needed

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 02:47:28 PDT 2007

In message <E8D9395A-6DAC-497C-96DA-3A5EF8F9DB9F at makedatamakesense.com>,
Scott Reynen <scott at makedatamakesense.com> writes

>On Jul 20, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> Look again. There are also GBP, Canadian dollars
>> unspecified dollars, Euros, Deutschmark, and Jamaican money.
>
>I saw that and think more is still needed.  Surely cents are not the
>only modern non-default currency unit

Indeed no, and the examples include:

        West Midland Bird Club Bibliography
        <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/biblio/worcs.htm#MalvernHand>
         (Published prices of old books)

        = 6/- (30p)

and:

        Silver Jubilee
        (http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/archive/jubilee-54.htm)
        (1954) - prices in text ("five shilling subscriptions", "10/-")
        shown in footnotes as "1 shilling = 5p" and "10/- = 10 shillings
        (50p)" respectively.

Note that, as well as the obsolete "shillings" (ten shillings is written
as "10/-" or "10s"; ten shillings and tuppence as "10/2" or "10s 2d").
Those extracts include the modern "penny" (written "p"; 1 GBP = 100p).

I do agree, though, that it would be a good idea to gather example of
other currencies, especially non-Western types.

--
Andy Mabbett