[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Wed Jun 6 14:25:26 PDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

>  I think there is a rough consensus over
> the following items being important in haudio:
>
>  * hAudio (haudio)

[snip]

> The halbum topic is currently being debated heavily:
>
> halbum
>     summary
>       haudio
>     track
>       haudio
>     track
>       haudio
>
> vs.
>
> halbum
>     title
>     contributor
>     image-summary
>     duration
>     payment
>     haudio
>     haudio
>     haudio

It seems to me the main reason this is being debated is that it's not
yet clear what "haudio" means.  The former suggestion treats it as an
abstract container for metadata, which doesn't correlate directly to
any real world concept.  The latter suggestion treats it as a track.
This is coming up in the album discussion, but it's fundamental to
haudio.  I think this stems from two separate problem statements:

http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-brainstorming#Purpose
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#The_Problem

In hindsight, there never should have been two separate problem
statements, but now we have to decide which one we're actually trying
to solve.  Specifically, does "haudio" describe "information about
one or more audio recordings" or "information about an audio
recording"?  The difference seems subtle at first, but after noting
how the former definition matches the former album schema, and the
latter definition matches the latter album schema, it looks like a
significant difference we need to work out.

I personally prefer the latter, as it's describing a more specific
concept, i.e. a single recording rather than one or more recordings.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com