[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Wed Jun 6 15:40:00 PDT 2007

Scott Reynen wrote:
> Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:25 PM
> To: For discussion of new microformats.
> Subject: Re: [uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast
>

> On Jun 6, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
> >  I think there is a rough consensus over
> > the following items being important in haudio:
> >
> >  * hAudio (haudio)
>
> [snip]
>
> > The halbum topic is currently being debated heavily:
> >
> > halbum
> >     summary
> >       haudio
> >     track
> >       haudio
> >     track
> >       haudio
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > halbum
> >     title
> >     contributor
> >     image-summary
> >     duration
> >     payment
> >     haudio
> >     haudio
> >     haudio
>
> It seems to me the main reason this is being debated is that
> it's not
> yet clear what "haudio" means.  The former suggestion treats
> it as an
> abstract container for metadata, which doesn't correlate directly to
> any real world concept.  The latter suggestion treats it as a
> track.
> This is coming up in the album discussion, but it's fundamental to
> haudio.  I think this stems from two separate problem statements:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-brainstorming#Purpose
> http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#The_Problem
>
> In hindsight, there never should have been two separate problem
> statements, but now we have to decide which one we're
> actually trying
> to solve.  Specifically, does "haudio" describe "information about
> one or more audio recordings" or "information about an audio
> recording"?  The difference seems subtle at first, but after noting
> how the former definition matches the former album schema, and the
> latter definition matches the latter album schema, it looks like a
> significant difference we need to work out.
>
> I personally prefer the latter, as it's describing a more specific
> concept, i.e. a single recording rather than one or more recordings.

There seemed to be partial agreement that hAudio means the individual audio recording, that being the simplest case to solve,
although I agree with the contradiction in the above problem statements. The answer for multiple audio recordings on a page is to
have multiple hAudio. Dealing with "smart" ways to group hAudio is a different problem.

Let's solve the case of an individual audio recording as hAudio, update the examples and the schema, and "publish" it as a uF.
There's a lot of work between here and there, but I think it is the right goal.

Once we get /that/ done, then let's go back and see if hAlbum or hPlaylist or hPodcast or some other container class is worth doing.

I for one, don't understand why hAudio doesn't include the actual audio file. But that's not worth discussing until we can get
closure on what hAudio is.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu