[uf-new] title vs. summary (was: Third attempt at hAudio)

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:39:22 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, this is what you are saying:
>
> haudio
>    title (this title is for the haudio)
>    collaborator
>       vcard
>          fn
>          title (this title is for the vcard)
>
> You are stating that we don't want to do what is stated above. If we are
> taking this rule to heart, then why didn't anybody argue against using
> 'fn' in haudio? To further illustrate my point:

--- i believe we did, that is why it was suggested to switch to
'summary' on  Thu Jun 6
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-June/000502.html
by Martin McEvoy and acknoledged on the 7th by Manu Sporny
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-June/000504.html

> hreview
>    summary
>       vcard
>          fn (this fn is for the vcard)
>    item
>       fn (this fn is for the item)
>
> Doesn't the above valid hReview markup break your rule as well? Is this
> really a problem. As far as I can tell, it isn't a parsing problem. It
> is clear which FN goes with which container in hReview, just like it
> would be clear to a parser which TITLE goes with which container in haudio.

in the current pseudo-code no, but in this example it does:
hcalendar
  location
    vcard
      url#1
  url#2

you MIGHT intend that URL#2 be part of hcalender, but infact URL#1 is
the URL that gets used because it is the first found.

if you have
media
  hcard
   title#1
  title#2

then title#1 will be used for the media, NOT title#2

When you beging to give two different meaning to the same thing, you
are confusing the semantics, whereas:
media
  title#2
  hcard
   title#1

this is more what you intended were title#2 is correctly associated with media

media
  summary
  hcard
   title#1

- or -

media
  hcard
   title#1
  summary

yeild the same results

this is NOT a bug, it is a feature of NOT having namespace in that you
can use the same property across many domains. This IS different than
other languages like XML, microformats are NOT the same. This is where
some confusions arise when folks apply one technology domain to other
which in this case is not correct.

-brian

--
brian suda