More grouping discussion, was: Re: [uf-new] First draft of hAudio proposal

Rudy Desjardins rudy at sandbenders.ca
Fri May 4 09:40:29 PDT 2007

On 5/4/07, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:

> <ol class="haudio">
>         <li class="work-title"><a  class="acquire"
> href="http://link.to/download-1">download page 1</a></li>
>                 <li class="work-title"><a  class="acquire"
> href="http://link.to/download-2">download page 2</a></li>
>                         <li class="work-title"><a  class="acquire"
> href="http://link.to/download-3">download page 3</a></li>
>         </ol>
>
> <ol>  is my shelf
> <li>   Are my books on a shelf.
>
> another one

> href="http://link.to/download-1">download page 1</a></p>
> href="http://link.to/download-2">download page 2</a></p>
> href="http://link.to/download-3">download page 3</a></p>

It seems like some people are still missing/ignoring a few key points with
regards to the problem(s) which some kind of a grouping or collection
pattern are intended to address:

1) There exists a need to express a grouping relationship for data which is
sparse. Please see the
grouping-examples<http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-examples>and
grouping-brainstorming
<http://microformats.org/wiki/grouping-brainstorming>wiki pages for
descriptions of these types of data sets.

2) There exists a need to express an N-N grouping relationship, as opposed
to simply 1-N which is all a heirarchical structure implicitly allows.

Although a highly elegant solution, letting existing heirarchical markup
alone define the containing and contained elements of a collection
unfortunately does not address these two base problems, and I believe at
this point there's a general consensus on these two problems being part of
the problem space we're trying to solve with the grouping 'pattern',
although additional real-world examples are still being compiled and
analyzed to support this fact.

--
Rudy X. Desjardins
Programmer