Re: [uf-new] [hAudio] fn _or_ album

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Sun Nov 4 16:24:50 PST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> "3) If name of album and name of audio are same, audio is album."
>
> "fn album" is being used to
> set a fn type of album

No, it indicates the type of audio, not the type of name.  There is no
joint "fn album" property; that's two completely separate properties
that happen to be classifying the same element.  In HTML, one class
name has no effect on the meaning of another.  FN in HAUDIO *always*
means "name of audio."

Imagine in real life someone asks you if you've heard "Unicorns are
Awesome."  From that, you know "Unicorns are Awesome" is the name of
some audio.  Now imagine two weeks later someone asks you if you've
seen the new album they bought, and you ask them what it's called, and
they say "Unicorns are Awesome."  Now you know "Unicorns are Awesome"
is the name of an album.

You can put those two independent pieces of information together to
infer a third piece of information: the album and the piece of audio
are very likely the same thing because they have the same name.  That
third piece of information comes from the previous two pieces of
information, but it doesn't change them at all.  The name of the audio
is still the name of the audio, and the name of the album is still the
name of the album.

Similarly, an hCard analogy: if you asked me who I work for, I might
tell you "John Deere," and give you the contact information for my
employer (though that's not actually who I work for).  Without any
more information, you'd probably assume "John Deere" is a person, my
boss.  But then if someone told you there's an organization named
"John Deere," you'd probably put that together and realize my employer
is actually an organization, because an organization and my employer
have the same name.

hAudio and hCard parsing is just requiring parsers to make this same
sort of deduction from existing information.

> Now can you see why I am concerned about this proposal?

I believe you're confused about the proposal and objecting to
something that isn't actually proposed.  I completely agree we
shouldn't redefine FN, but because we're not talking about doing that,
that's not really an objection to the hAudio proposal.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com