[uf-new] item property (was: hAudio: audio-title/album-title vs. recording/album)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Oct 13 17:03:08 PDT 2007

On 10/13/07 1:11 PM, "Martin McEvoy" <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 20:48 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> It's my understanding that "item" in microformats was intended purely
>> as
>> a delimiter, with the same - empty - semantic value as SPAN and DIV in
>> HTML.
> the exact same semantics are mirrored In my suggestion in hAudio, do you
> not think that Item can be a powerful tool in microformats if we use it
> the same way as a div or a span in html?

> I think if we use track ...
> in the context of hAudio does it have any more meaning than
> track and item are both being used as container for which the contents
> describe what it is?

Correct, they appear to be isomorphic.

> Anyway there is only Me at the moment supporting using *item* instead of
> a new microformat *track*

I support re-use of "item" as well, rather than inventing a new term that
has apparently the same semantics, which would violate one of our naming
principles: re-use the same name to mean the same thing (instead of using
two names to mean the same thing).

And regardless of the number of people, if you can point to a principle
supporting your position, your position is stronger.  Science is not a