[uf-new] item property (was: hAudio: audio-title/album-title vs. recording/album)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Oct 13 17:03:08 PDT 2007

On 10/13/07 1:11 PM, "Martin McEvoy" <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 20:48 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>
>> It's my understanding that "item" in microformats was intended purely
>> as
>> a delimiter, with the same - empty - semantic value as SPAN and DIV in
>> HTML.
>
> the exact same semantics are mirrored In my suggestion in hAudio, do you
> not think that Item can be a powerful tool in microformats if we use it
> the same way as a div or a span in html?

Precisely.

> I think if we use track ...

> in the context of hAudio does it have any more meaning than

> track and item are both being used as container for which the contents
> describe what it is?

Correct, they appear to be isomorphic.

> Anyway there is only Me at the moment supporting using *item* instead of
> a new microformat *track*

I support re-use of "item" as well, rather than inventing a new term that
has apparently the same semantics, which would violate one of our naming
principles: re-use the same name to mean the same thing (instead of using
two names to mean the same thing).

http://microformats.org/wiki/naming-principles#Reuse

And regardless of the number of people, if you can point to a principle
supporting your position, your position is stronger.  Science is not a
democracy.

Thanks,

Tantek