[uf-new] Recipe status

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 08:02:43 PDT 2008

I suggest that (where there is an overlap) we take class names from
hAtom. This will allow easy overlapping between the formats for pages
that feature a collection of recipes. e.g.

even, say:

For Internet Explorer 8 fun!

So, as amendments to Thomas' proposal, I'd like to see:

	* Replace class="title" with class="entry-title"
	* Replace class="summary" with class="entry-summary"
	* Replace class="dtpublished" with class="published"

I realise you've already tried to take class names from hReview, but
I think hAtom is a better match. Other than that, I like the schema
proposed.

Regarding the relationship with the measure microformat, which I've
been trying to push forward with a bit (I wrote most of the current
draft schema), I don't think we need to wait for it. We should
basically say that the class="quantity" element contains a free-form
string. For any future parsers that do implement a measurement
microformat, then a bit of mix and match will be perfectly acceptable
-- but parsers which understand hrecipe and not hmeasure can just
interpret the quantity as a string and that should be considered
acceptable behaviour. So in short, we *allow* for a future
measurement microformat to optionally be hooked in to hrecipe, but in
general we just treat quantities as a string.

	<li class="ingredient hmeasure">
	</li>

would be parsed by an hrecipe aware parser as:

	Ingredient:
		Quantity: 2 tbsp
		Item: parsley
		Preparation Note: (chopped)

and by an hmeasure aware parser as:

	Measurement:
		Value: 2
		Unit: tbsp
		Item: parsley

A parser aware of both could combine this information logically.

Also, I'm beginning to think that class="value" is a poor choice of
class name for hmeasure, given its "special behaviour" in value
excerpting. Should it be class="num", class="val" or something?

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>