[uf-new] Microformats for Slide Show/Presentations - hShow, hSlide - State-of-the-Art?

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Wed Mar 12 12:34:24 PST 2008

On 10 Mar 2008, at 03:29, Gerald Bauer wrote:

>   I've recently developed a Ruby gem called - surprise, surprise -
> Slide Show (S9) [1] - that's a free alternative to PowerPoint and
> KeyNote and let's you create slide shows and author slides in plain
> text using a wiki-style markup language that's easy-to-write and
> easy-to-read.
>
>   Anyways, the HTML generated by the Ruby gem is compatible with the
> Opera Show Format and the FullerScreen Firefox Addon and close but not
> yet compatible with S5. Over the next couple of weeks I plan to
> document the format used by Slide Show (S9) and, thus, I wonder if
> anyone else is working on a Microformat for slide shows/presentations
> such as hShow, hSlide or similar.
>
>   Any points to existing work is appreciated.

My question would be why is a microformat needed? If you look at the
approach that S5 takes (which I think is a good approach), the content
is marked up in POSH like any other document, and then it's the
application of presentation (as in styling) and behaviour layers that
make it look and act like a slideshow.

It strikes me that the mechanics of a slideshow presentation itself is
a different thing entirely to the content being presented.

Whilst it's valid to say "this content is an event" or "this content
is a about xyz" as these describe the meaning of the content, saying
"this content is in a slideshow" is telling us about the medium, not
the content.

Would you agree?

drew.