[uf-new] S5 as microformat?

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Jul 13 00:08:11 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Scott Reynen
<scott at makedatamakesense.com> wrote:
> S5 is an HTML-based slideshow system introduced by Eric Meyer (with help of
> several other people, including Tantek) back in 2006:
>
> http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/
>
> The basic idea is markup like <div class="presentation"> and <div
> class="slide"> are read by JavaScript and converted into a usable slideshow.
>  There are several implementations of S5, but no active coordination today.
>  Meanwhile slideshow hosting sites, like Scribd, are moving away from Flash
> and towards HTML as a publishing format:
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/30964170/Scribd-in-HTML5
>
> The S5 project is in the public domain, and I think it would be valuable to
> have a central organization coordinating documentation, implementations, and
> potential changes to S5.  As I'm sure you've already guessed, I think
> microformats.org would be a good place to do that.  Thoughts?

This is a good idea, and a nice time right time to raise it. One more
link I didn't see mentioned yet is the Slidey tool from Dave Raggett
at W3C.

 http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/
 http://people.w3.org/~dsr/blog/?p=4
 http://xtech06.usefulinc.com/schedule/paper/1

This is in some ways a clientside successor to the earlier Slidemaker,
which you run as a Perl script -
http://www.w3.org/Talks/slidemaker/YYMMsub/
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/slidemaker/

It would be lovely also to get more mainstream, accessible (X)HTML
and/or SVG out of Apple Keynote. I've just tried Keynote '09 and its
idea of HTML export is to make one huge PNG per page, and flip between
them via Javascript. So things don't seem to have improved much since
2003 and http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1865 ...

Anyways I've started the page Tantek suggested - see
http://microformats.org/wiki/slides-examples and also updated
http://microformats.org/wiki/s5-tools with the other links you
mention.

cheers,