[uf-discuss] "Behavior" and microformats

Michael Stillwell mjs at beebo.org
Tue Mar 28 01:53:40 PST 2006

On 3/27/06, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Funny, I was actually discussing this with Tantek and David weekly
> about how Microformats + Behavior + Wikis are the next frontier...

Will robots parse Javascript-generated microformats?  I was thinking
of writing some Javascript to generate rel-tag from the <meta
name="keywords"> elements that have been embedded in my pages all
these years, but decided that there's not much point since only humans
will see it.

I thought briefly about doing it server-side in PHP, but I eventually
gave up on the idea because: (a) doing it in PHP was going to be more
of a hassle and; (b) I don't see how rel-tag is going to endure any
more than meta keywords ever did.

What's the thinking on rel-tag survivability versus meta keywords?
The wiki page says that in being visible, rel-tag will be "somewhat
more resilient" than meta keywords.  This is probably true, but it's
not particularly reassuring.  (Have there been any sightings of tags
being hidden via CSS/Javascript?)  I not having much luck finding
anything about this in the mailing lists either, though I imagine this
must have been discussed at some point--any pointers?

Cheers,
Michael

--
http://beebo.org