[uf-discuss] rel="pavatar"

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:04:09 PST 2007

On 1/23/07 4:12 PM, "Scott Reynen" <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
>> It's been listed as a "rejected microformat":
>>
>>         <http://microformats.org/wiki/rejected-formats>
>>
>> though I can find no such rejection, by this community. Perhaps
>> someone
>> can give a reference?
>
> On Dec 28, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Paul Bryson wrote:
>
>> "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
>> <supercanadian at gmail.com> wrote...
>>> I'd agree with this if hCards allowed for multiple PHOTO's or LOGO's.
>>> So, from my perspective, the question comes down to: does an hCard
>>> support mutiple PHOTO's or LOGO's?  (My understanding so far is that
>>> they don't.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.)
>>
>> I am currently using "logo" to display an avatar.  But I am curious
>> if more
>> than one photo/logo is allowed per hCard.
>
> Then someone said more than one photo/logo is allowed, and I believe
> at that point everyone involved in the discussion was satisfied there
> was no longer a problem to be solved.  But this may be a new problem:
>
>> Which is the avatar - picA or picB?
>
> The one with "avatar" in the alt attribute?

I suspect you meant that facetiously but I don't think it would be wise to
prescribe specific values for the alt attribute like that outside of an
actual documented need.

> Is anyone experiencing
> this problem on the web currently?  If so, it would be helpful to
> look at the problem in context.  If not, let's not worry about
> hypothetical problems.

Agreed. If someone is having trouble with their consuming application that
needs icons/avatars for people, let's hear the specific concrete problem
(which may be more appropriate for the microformats-dev list since it would
involve an actual implementation).

For now it may be simple enough to say that in the case of finding more than
one (photo|logo), it is up to the consuming application to choose the most
appropriate one (perhaps looking at image sizes etc.) if it needs to pick
just one to be an icon/avatar.

Tantek