Welcome to the microformats wiki!
- Learn what it means to be POSH .
- See the about page, latest news, press, presentations, Books, microformats podcasts, & screencasts.
- Have questions? Read the frequently asked questions and see the glossary for new terms.
- Want to learn more in person? Check out microformats Microformats events.
Microformats are small bits of HTML that represent things like people, events, tags etc. in webpages.
Microformats enable the publishing of higher fidelity information on the Web, providing the fastest & simplest way to support feeds and APIs for your website. See more explanations of what are microformats, and what you can do with them.
How to contribute
Do you want to help take microformats to the next level? You can:
- Get started by adding microformats to your website, services, and products.
- Advocate the use of microformats on other web sites, especially those you use.
- Write a Testimonals.
- Do something on the to do list.
- Join the IRC Channel and mailing lists to learn and help answer questions (read the general guidelines before posting).
- Translate this microformats wiki into other languages to make microformats more accessible to readers of languages around the world.
- Find orphaned pages, and add links to them.
- Before proposing any new microformats, make sure your website is posh, uses existing microformats, and then read the The microformats process.
- hCalendar - hcalendar creator
- hCard - hcard creator
- XFN (see also: XFN Implementations)
- adr - for marking up address information
- Geo - for marking up WGS84 geographic coordinates (latitude; longitude)
- hAtom - syndicating episodic content (e.g. weblog postings)
- hResume - for publishing resumes and CVs
- hReview - hreview creator
- rel-directory - to indicate that the destination of a hyperlink is a directory listing containing an entry for the current page
- rel="enclosure" - for indicating attachments (e.g. files) to download and cache
- rel="home" - indicate a hyperlink to the homepage of the site
- rel-payment - indicate a payment mechanism
- Robots Exclusion
Design patterns are common uses of markup across microformats.
- abbr design pattern
- Date Design Pattern
- Datetime Design Pattern
- Value Class Pattern
Per the microformats The microformats process: research and analysis of real-world Best Practices for Examples Pages, existing formats, and brainstorming to motivate the microformat. Please check rejected-formats before making additions.
- alternates alternates brainstorming, alternates examples
- audio-info (examples, formats, brainstorming, proposal, issues) - Marking up information and metadata related to audio (speech, music, and sound in general).
- audio-album (see audio-info pages for examples, formats, brainstorming. audio-album-proposal, audio-album-issues) - Marking up information and metadata related to audio albums/collections.
- blog description blog description examples
- blog info blog info examples
- blog post examples, blog post formats, and blog post brainstorming (yielded the hAtom draft)
- book book examples, book formats, and book brainstorming
- chat chat examples, chat formats, and chat brainstorming
- citation citation effort, citation examples, citation formats, citation brainstorming, and citation FAQ
- code code examples, code-formats, code brainstorming
- comment comment problem, comment examples, and comment formats (Some stuff needs to be extracted from comments-formats)
- collection description - for describing collections in libraries
- course-catalog-examples; course-catalog-examples
- currency; Currency Examples; Currency formats prior art; currency brainstorming; currency-proposal; currency-issues
- depend-examples: examples of dependency graphs, especially as they relate to software
- digital-signatures: incorporation of digital signatures in Microformatted data; (digital-signature examples, digitalsignature-formats, digital-signatures brainstorming)
- directions directions examples
- directory inclusion directory inclusion examples, directory inclusion formats. (yielded the rel-directory microformat)
- distributed conversation distributed conversation overview, distributed conversation examples, distributed conversation formats, distributed conversation brainstorming
- Downloads downloads examples, downloads formats, downloads brainstorming
- error messages error message examples, error-message-formats, error message brainstorming
- forms forms examples
- file-format (examples, formats, brainstorming) - for the mark-up of file format information (size, type, codecs, bitrate, etc.) - should this be merged with Downloads ?
- genealogy Genealogy Examples, genealogy formats
- geo extensions
- geo-elevation-examples, geo-elevation-formats - extend geo for representing altitude
- geo-extension-waypoints, geo-waypoint-formats - extend geo for representing routes and boundaries, using waypoints
- geo-extension-examples, geo-extension-formats, geo-extension-brainstorming, geo-extension-nonWGS84 - extend geo for moons, other planets, etc.
- group group examples, group formats, group brainstorming
- grouping (examples, formats, brainstorming, proposal) - Metadata markup of items that should be grouped together.
- hash hash examples (see also Downloads)
- items items examples, item-formats, items brainstorming
- job listing job listing examples, job-listing-formats, job listing brainstorming
- last modified last modified examples, last modified formats, and last modified brainstorming
- listing / hListing hListing proposal, and hListing feedback
- location location-examples, location formats. (see also adr, Geo, hCard)
- measures and measurement units Measure microformat research, measure-examples, measure-formats
- Media Info (media-info examples, media-info formats, media-info brainstorming)
- meeting minutes meeting minutes examples, meeting minutes formats, and meeting minutes brainstorming
- metalink metalink examples
- MFO examples
- music music examples (see also audio-info)
- news news examples
- opening-hours: opening-hours-examples ..of stores, restaurants, etc.
- page-summary page-summary-examples, page-summary-formats
- photo note photo note examples
- product - Product Examples, product-formats, product-brainstorming. The following needs to be cleaned up as part of product: rel-product rel-product brainstorming
- question-answer-brainstorming, question-answer-examples, question-answer-formats, question-answer-brainstorming
- realestate-propertydetail, realestate-propertydetail-examples, realestate-propertydetail-formats, realestate-propertydetail brainstorming
- receipt (examples, formats, brainstorming, proposal) - Marking up information and metadata related to purchase receipts.
- recipe recipe examples, recipe-formats, recipe-brainstorming
- requirements testing requirements testing overview, and requirements testing examples
- REST examples (see also rest)
- resume resume-examples, resume formats, resume brainstorming yielded the hResume draft.
- review review examples, and review formats yielded the hReview draft
- search results search results example
- show show-examples, show-formats, show brainstorming (see also Media Info)
- showroll showroll-examples, showroll-formats, showroll-brainstorming
- species - for the marking up of the scientific names of living things: species-examples, species-formats, species-brainstorming
- table examples
- tagspeak tagspeak examples
- tagcloud tagcloud examples, tagcloud-formats, and tagcloud brainstorming.
- to-do-examples, to-do-formats, to-do-brainstorming, to perhaps yield hToDo
- transit table transit table examples
- widget, widget examples, widget-formats, widget brainstorming
- wiki formats
- work of art work of art overview, work of art examples, work of art formats, and work of art brainstorming
- XMDP brainstorming (see also xmdp-faq)
tools, test cases, additional research
The first place to look for examples, code, and test cases is in the pages for each individual microformat. There are only a few cross-cutting tools and services that need to process more than one microformat. This section is intended for editors, parsers, validators, test cases, and other information relevant across multiple microformats.
- Microformat FAQs relating to RDF
- Profile URI examples, in the wild (Profile URIs for
- Source code repository -- how to download code from the repository
- User Interface
- User profile examples, in the wild (User profiles, for social websites)
- vcard-implementations, vCard errata, vCard suggestions
- Microformats events
- cheat-sheet are handy if you need a quick reminder about a particular microformat.
- Spread Microformats
- Microformats Buttons
- demo - a page with links for quickly demonstrating microformats working in practice.
- User Interface
- shortcuts to wiki pages with long names
- spell-check dictionary
microformats wiki translations
You may read and edit microformats articles in many other languages:
- languages with over 100 articles
- languages with over 10 articles
- languages with over 2 articles
- Wikipedia's article on microformats has been translated into a number of languages.